The "Character Relation Diagram" Feature
01-07-2013, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2013, 08:07 PM by SamZ.)
(01-07-2013, 03:24 AM)SamZ Wrote: Ok, this is going to be a tough one:
http://lndb.info/light_novel/diagram/Suzumiya_Haruhi_Series

What to do in case there are too many relations/connectors between characters? maybe in this case scaling up of the diagram would be the best solution for these type of diagrams... I'll see what can be done in this case... there might not be a perfect solution for this.

For pretty tight characters/relations diagrams, the diagrams will be scaled up, like the following one:

To avoid such diagrams (like the above one), I would rather diagrams only have the absolute necessary relations. Also a relation between a certain group of characters (like being a "SOS Brigade members") would be more suited for a feature that would show the characters either via alphabetical order or via group that they belong to.
07-07-2013, 03:06 AM
I have removed a "membership relation" between groups of characters in the following diagram:
07-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Well, I'm sorry for all the problems caused by that diagram, I thought it would be more complete like that. ^^' I'll try to restrain to the most necessary relations.
08-07-2013, 01:59 AM
(07-07-2013, 08:30 AM)PetalidiStelle Wrote: Well, I'm sorry for all the problems caused by that diagram, I thought it would be more complete like that. ^^' I'll try to restrain to the most necessary relations.

Nah, no prob, and thanks for your help Smile

I guess this is one of the limitations of this diagram feature, the more relations you add to characters in the same cluster of characters (connected characters) the more incomprehensible the diagram becomes. I guess the only way to deal with this limitation is to add only the most necessary relations...
08-07-2013, 02:21 AM
Any behind the scenes logic for scaling up the diagram was removed... in case the diagram becomes too complex, we'll have to lose some of the unnecessary/not so important relations.
25-12-2013, 10:03 AM
One suggestion is a Zoom Out/Zoom In option, some relationship diagrams can get pretty big/congested, and a bird's eye view would be very helpful ^_^;;
25-12-2013, 08:32 PM
(25-12-2013, 10:03 AM)gum Wrote: One suggestion is a Zoom Out/Zoom In option, some relationship diagrams can get pretty big/congested, and a bird's eye view would be very helpful ^_^;;

The normal browser's zoom in/out should work, but one thing should be taken into account that the images and text will be harder and harder to see/read the more you zoom out.

The issue I'm trying to deal with is what to do when there are too many edges/relations. The more relations between a certain number of nodes the more incomprehensible the graph becomes since there will be lots of edge/node and edge/edge collisions.