Feature Suggestions & Feedback
25-01-2013, 07:17 PM
A rating system... sounds like a fun idea Smile for now I think I'll go with an overall rating, where the user can enter a rating for the whole light novel series/title, but the users will be able to update their rating upon further reading... anyway, adding it to the list of upcoming features.
13-04-2013, 02:14 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2013, 02:46 AM by _DK.)
There should be an option to determind if the LN is ended or not (Complete, Ongoing)
It may tough for update info but I think is needed.

Additional: Search filter is missing.
Random_page should only be Light novel.
13-04-2013, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2013, 07:19 AM by SamZ.)
(13-04-2013, 02:14 AM)_DK Wrote: There should be an option to determind if the LN is ended or not (Complete, Ongoing)
It may tough for update info but I think is needed.

You can check under the "Publication Labels".

For example this is an ongoing light novel:
http://lndb.info/light_novel/Hidan_no_Aria

And this one is finished:
http://lndb.info/light_novel/Spice_and_Wolf

(13-04-2013, 02:14 AM)_DK Wrote: Additional: Search filter is missing.
Random_page should only be Light novel.

I'm aiming at creating a more advanced search feature later on, which will enable search/filter by genre, content, characters, ...

The purpose of the "Random Page" link is to show any random content on the site, be it illustrator, author, or light novel. Later on it might also include labels, magazines and publishers. So in short, the "Random Page" should be for showing any content/page on the site.
14-04-2013, 02:37 AM
Quote:The purpose of the "Random Page" link is to show any random content on the site, be it illustrator, author, or light novel. Later on it might also include labels, magazines and publishers. So in short, the "Random Page" should be for showing any content/page on the site.

Thank you.

I concur. But to think it should be priority for the main content as Light Novel like adding another functionality to random only Light Novel.
14-04-2013, 03:13 AM
Here are a few suggestions:
  • For characters, it would be great if they could be imported from other series, that way it would make adding characters in related series easier and faster. Of course we would still need to be able to modify the informations since some such as age, character type, etc. may have changed between two series. Maybe have a page that would list all the different profiles a character has across several works.
  • It would be great to have a list of awards (light novel-specific or not) a light novel, character, writer or illustrator has won. Should probably be split in 3 categories:
    • Publisher Awards like the Dengeki Novel Prize (電撃小説大賞), the Super Dash Novel Rookie of the Year Award (スーパーダッシュ小説新人賞), the Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! Award (『このライトノベルがすごい!』大賞), etc. We could also use these to note the original name of a light novel (since the name is often changed by the publisher before releasing it)
    • Literary Awards such as the Seiun Award (星雲賞), the Honkaku Mystery Grand Prize (本格ミステリ大賞), the Nihon SF Award (日本SF大賞) the Sense of Gender Award (センス・オブ・ジェンダー賞), etc.
    • Rankings such as Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! (このライトノベルがすごい!), Honkaku Mystery Best 10 (本格ミステリ・ベスト10), Kono Mystery ga Sugoi! (このミステリーがすごい!), etc.
  • Offer an option for the authors/illustrators' pages to be displayed like this, i.e. with the covers of their light novels lined up ordered by their release date. There might be a need to "link" a cover with authors/illustrators since not all authors/illustrators of a light novel are involved with all volumes (like novels that gets republished with a different artist, or anthologies that have a different set of writers/illustrators with each volume).
    And for the current page, it might be interesting to add some informations (like publishing informations, genre, etc.) for each novel.

我、生きずして死すこと無し。
理想の器、満つらざるとも屈せず。
これ、後悔とともに死すこと無し。

14-04-2013, 07:17 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013, 07:18 AM by SamZ.)
(14-04-2013, 02:37 AM)_DK Wrote:
Quote:The purpose of the "Random Page" link is to show any random content on the site, be it illustrator, author, or light novel. Later on it might also include labels, magazines and publishers. So in short, the "Random Page" should be for showing any content/page on the site.

Thank you.

I concur. But to think it should be priority for the main content as Light Novel like adding another functionality to random only Light Novel.

I don't want to clutter the menu with another link, but I think I'll add another block (between the "Recent Changes" and "Recent Comments" blocks on the main page) that will contain 10 random light novels Smile
14-04-2013, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013, 08:19 AM by SamZ.)
(14-04-2013, 03:13 AM)Mecasonic13 Wrote: For characters, it would be great if they could be imported from other series, that way it would make adding characters in related series easier and faster. Of course we would still need to be able to modify the informations since some such as age, character type, etc. may have changed between two series. Maybe have a page that would list all the different profiles a character has across several works.

I think this seems like a nice thing to have, but if I'm ever going to work on this, it won't be soon... there are just lots more important features to work on.

(14-04-2013, 03:13 AM)Mecasonic13 Wrote: It would be great to have a list of awards (light novel-specific or not) a light novel, character, writer or illustrator has won. Should probably be split in 3 categories:
Publisher Awards like the Dengeki Novel Prize (電撃小説大賞), the Super Dash Novel Rookie of the Year Award (スーパーダッシュ小説新人賞), the Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! Award (『このライトノベルがすごい!』大賞), etc. We could also use these to note the original name of a light novel (since the name is often changed by the publisher before releasing it)
Literary Awards such as the Seiun Award (星雲賞), the Honkaku Mystery Grand Prize (本格ミステリ大賞), the Nihon SF Award (日本SF大賞) the Sense of Gender Award (センス・オブ・ジェンダー賞), etc.
Rankings such as Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! (このライトノベルがすごい!), Honkaku Mystery Best 10 (本格ミステリ・ベスト10), Kono Mystery ga Sugoi! (このミステリーがすごい!), etc.

Awards... this seems like a great idea Smile I'll be adding this to the upcoming features list.

Hmmm... as to rankings, it might be better to have a page for example that's dedictated to "Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi!" and to the others that have info about each one of these rankings, and the rankings in it. I think this might be simpler and cleaner than having a Rankings section per each light novel.

(14-04-2013, 03:13 AM)Mecasonic13 Wrote: Offer an option for the authors/illustrators' pages to be displayed like this, i.e. with the covers of their light novels lined up ordered by their release date. There might be a need to "link" a cover with authors/illustrators since not all authors/illustrators of a light novel are involved with all volumes (like novels that gets republished with a different artist, or anthologies that have a different set of writers/illustrators with each volume).
And for the current page, it might be interesting to add some informations (like publishing informations, genre, etc.) for each novel.

Yeah, there will be a need to link the authors/illustrators with each light novel, which means in each and every light novel volume/cover being added we'll have to add an author/illustrator... I think a simpler solution is (unlike what's shown in the above page) just show the first cover of the light novel series the author/illustrator worked on. So if an author worked on 2 light novel series, we'll see the first cover of each of these light novels under the works section instead of only the name of the light novel series being mentioned.
14-04-2013, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 14-04-2013, 04:02 PM by _DK.)
Thank you very much Sam. Last but not least, I think it would be greate if this feature going to publish soon. You have listed it but not in high place.

Quote:- A releases section (for licensed light novels: title, language and date of release)
15-04-2013, 03:17 AM
(14-04-2013, 04:01 PM)_DK Wrote: Thank you very much Sam. Last but not least, I think it would be greate if this feature going to publish soon. You have listed it but not in high place.

Quote:- A releases section (for licensed light novels: title, language and date of release)

I think this feature is pretty important, but will have to wait at least until the "adaptations" feature's development is over.
28-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Hi SamZ. Sr for not being able to help to contribute by adding series.

Anw, it would be nice if you could add "favorite series, artist" as a new feature.