Best selling light novels of the year/all time (thread ver. 2)
15-01-2015, 01:16 PM
I had a question regarding the Index novels: Is there any record upto the very first volume? or during both & post anime airings? I wanted to know how much of a boost it provided?

If this is not the right place to ask, I apologize.
15-01-2015, 07:17 PM
(15-01-2015, 01:16 PM)KuroiTemp Wrote: I had a question regarding the Index novels: Is there any record upto the very first volume? or during both & post anime airings? I wanted to know how much of a boost it provided?

Before 2009 (well, technically late 2008 as that's when the year sales for 2009 begin) I only know of figures for number of copies shipped/printed, which isn't the same as the number of copies sold, which in turn isn't the same as the number of copies sold as reported by oricon (which is what is listed here). There are a few rankings floating around that would be usable, but these don't have figures to them. The first volume of Index came out in 2004.

The first Index anime aired from October 2008 - shortly before the earliest data we have access to. So there's no way to tell how much of an anime sales boost it got (and the only index volumes to show up on the 2009 year rankings were ones released that year.

That said, we do have figures for the number of copies reported as printed/shipped over this period. Remember that shipped does not equal sold, but they can give us some sort of idea. The link here: http://www7.atwiki.jp/2ch_ranobe/pages/52.html#id_8f505ddc shows that between June and November 2008 the number of copies of Index produced rose from 2.5 million to 4.4 million. There was one new volume released over this period. It seems in this instance the period up to the anime's airing is the crucial one to look at - the increase between November and March the following year was relatively small, suggesting that the earlier extra printing was fully sufficient to keep up with the extra demand that the anime triggered. It may have been barely sufficient or it may have been way too much - there's no way of knowing.
15-01-2015, 08:06 PM
Updated the thread.

Added this week's data to yearly and all time rankings
Added in a lots more "number of days" in the all time rankings
Added in a few more links to the all time rankings
Added the redux version of the list
17-01-2015, 02:11 AM (This post was last modified: 17-01-2015, 03:09 AM by kuuderes_shadow.)
Update:
Added year 2009 data to the full list. This is just the top 14 (which I presume to be 10 light novels and 4 others).
Made the corresponding changes to the redux list.
The MANZAI has been removed from the list.
Umi no Soko has been removed from the list.
The Grimoire of Marisa has been removed from the list.
06-02-2015, 06:31 PM
Thread updated with last 3 weeks of data.
12-02-2015, 07:14 AM
Updated for this week's data (note: one set of data for the current week still to come).
Also added release dates for all volumes of Hidan no Aria.
12-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Added the data from the yearly rankings for 2008. Note that this data is so incomplete that the list doesn't even warrant posting, with series such as Ookami to Koushinryou and Zero no Tsukaima being entirely missing. I have the weekly data for most weeks stretching back to April 2008 (which show up these series), and will add these to the data shortly. It does, however, mean we now have all volumes of the monogatari series on the list.

I also cut Shinrei Tantei Yakumo down to just one entry in the redux list.
14-02-2015, 01:05 AM (This post was last modified: 14-02-2015, 01:26 AM by kuuderes_shadow.)
Added data for all weeks from 31st March 2008 to 15th February 2009 EXCLUDING w/c 2nd and 9th June 2008 to the all time and redux rankings. This brings the toal number of things on the all time rankings up to 750 - although only around 60 things were added between both of these new sets of data. Not a lot considering it's more or less a year of data.

Also:
- deleted a duplicate entry of ookami to koushinryou 11
- added data from the oricon website for last week's sales.

(15-01-2015, 01:16 PM)KuroiTemp Wrote: I had a question regarding the Index novels: Is there any record upto the very first volume? or during both & post anime airings? I wanted to know how much of a boost it provided?

To update the answer to this question, unfortunately volume 16 came out on 10th June, during the brief period for which we have no data (this covers its first 6 days of sales). It did not rank in its second week. SS volume 2, which came out whilst the anime was airing, sold 38103 in week 1 (4 days) and 21454 in week 2, for a total of 59557 sales before dropping out of the rankings. However side story volumes will often sell a different amount to the main series, and of course the anime was airing at the time, so it doesn't really provide any useful comparisons.
However, it's worth noting that the pre-anime volume failed to sell over 6.9k over days 7-13, a very low threshold for the much smaller rankings back then. The series did not reappear in the rankings whilst airing, but with thresholds of over 10k most weeks it would have been quite spectacular if it did.
17-02-2015, 09:39 AM
(14-02-2015, 01:05 AM)kuuderes_shadow Wrote:

To update the answer to this question, unfortunately volume 16 came out on 10th June, during the brief period for which we have no data (this covers its first 6 days of sales). It did not rank in its second week. SS volume 2, which came out whilst the anime was airing, sold 38103 in week 1 (4 days) and 21454 in week 2, for a total of 59557 sales before dropping out of the rankings. However side story volumes will often sell a different amount to the main series, and of course the anime was airing at the time, so it doesn't really provide any useful comparisons.
However, it's worth noting that the pre-anime volume failed to sell over 6.9k over days 7-13, a very low threshold for the much smaller rankings back then. The series did not reappear in the rankings whilst airing, but with thresholds of over 10k most weeks it would have been quite spectacular if it did.

Thank you for the updated answer. Then wouldn't it mean it only started to sell really high after Season 1/during Season 2? isn't that uncommon?
18-02-2015, 06:12 AM
It depends on what you mean by "uncommon" - it won't happen for most series, but for a lot of the huge hit series that's how they got to that status. LN-original series that get to 100k sales for a volume from the weekly rankings before their first live action or anime adaptation are really, really rare - SAO (105102) and Mahouka (123101) are the only examples that I am aware of (and Haganai but that's a bit of an odd case as volume 7 had the zeroth episode of the anime attached to it, and volume 6 had a drama CD.

OreGairu's last volume before the anime sold just just barely over 40k in the weekly rankings, and that was just a couple of weeks before the anime aired, by which point there's usually a small anime boost already in effect. The one before had sales of 36k. Volume 10 hit 138k. Sure, that's not as high as Index was getting in the peak (221k for shinyaku 3), but the first volume is still adding a couple of thousand sold copies every week, so the series is still on the ascendancy. And Index hit its highest sales in early 2012 - more than 3 years after the first anime aired, during which time Index and characters from the series consistantly came at or near the top of various rankings, such as the Kono Light Novel ga Sugoi! rankings, which OreGairu dominated last year.

OreImo went from 79k on the weekly rankings before to 195k in the volume afterwards.

The Monogatari series went from 45k before to 128k the volume afterwards to 205k with Koimonogatari - both before and after there being in the same range as index.

No Game No Life went from 24k before to 129k during - the after volume was recently announced as coming out next month.