light on his future later this week in Quebec
29-08-2019, 04:02 PM
TORONTO -- Georges St-Pierre will shed light on his future later this week in Quebec City. There has been a question-mark hanging over the UFC welterweight champion since his controversial win over No. 1 contender Johny Hendricks last month at UFC 167. St-Pierre said immediately after the fight that he needed time away from his sport to take care of personal matters and ponder his future. It appears the 32-year-old from Montreal has made up his mind. St-Pierre, currently on vacation in Dubai, confirmed by text to The Canadian Press that he will be announcing his future Friday. As of Monday, even the UFC was in the dark as to their pay-per-view kings plans. UFC president Dana White told The Canadian Press that he was letting St-Pierre "have his time." The unlikely venue is a skating rink at a Quebec City mall. St-Pierres manager, Rodolphe Beaulieu, said it was a previously scheduled appearance, with the fighter slated to meet fans and sponsors. St-Pierre will also take questions briefly from the media. While Beaulieu said St-Pierre was not making an announcement per se, he said the champion will answer questions. St-Pierre (25-2) has not lost since April 2007, dominating the 170-pound division while becoming one of Canadas best-known athletes. His split decision win over Hendricks on Nov. 16 in Las Vegas extended his string of victories to 12, the longest current run in the UFC. It was his ninth successful title defence and ninth straight title defence, one behind former middleweight champion Anderson Silva in each category. And it was his 14th championship fight, one behind Randy Couture. The victory also moved GSP past Silva for most wins in UFC title bouts at 12. St-Pierre also extended his UFC mark for most championship rounds fought to 52. But many, including White, scored the last fight for Hendricks. And St-Pierres post-fight remarks about taking a break infuriated the UFC boss, who calmed down after meeting privately with the fighter. The champion has not detailed the personal issues at play. "I need to think. I have stuff going on in my life ... This is my personal life," St-Pierre told the post-fight news conference. "I cannot speak to you about this. Youre a reporter, I know your job is to make things public. But I have a personal life, I keep personal some of my stuff." A TMZ report said the champion is dealing with a family illness and a personal issue. White told The Canadian Press that St-Pierre had told him the report was not true. After meeting the champion privately after the fight, White said St-Pierres issues "arent as bad as he thinks they are." "Yeah, well get through this," he added. St-Pierre does not need to fight again. He is financially set, thanks to millions made in the cage and endorsements with the likes of Under Armour and Bacardi. Should he decide to keep fighting, a lucrative rematch with Hendricks awaits. Custom Football Jerseys Throwback . Hoefl-Rieschs exit — from the downhill course into safety nets, then airlifted from the slope by helicopter — left Anna Fenninger of Austria favourite to win her first giant crystal trophy one month after becoming an Olympic champion. Sale Football Jerseys Throwback . Rosbergs time of 1 minute, 33.185 seconds at the Bahrain International Circuit was a quarter of a second faster than Hamilton, who had to abandon his final flying lap after running wide at the first corner. http://www.cheapfootballthrowback.com/ . Pistorius denied the allegation that he said to the close friend of the girlfriend he killed: "How can you sleep at night?" The accusation by Kim Myers provided a bizarre twist during the trial of the world-famous double-amputee Olympian, who is facing 25 years to life in prison if convicted of premeditated murder for shooting dead Steenkamp, a 29-year-old model, at his home last year. Wholesale Football Jerseys Throwback . -- Arizona came out of its last meeting with California a bit discombobulated, hurting from its first loss and the loss of forward Brandon Ashley for the rest of the season. Discount Football Jerseys Throwback . Future Hall of Famer Ricky Ray is in his prime and back for a third season in double blue. The 34-year old was magnificent in 2013, throwing for just under 2,900 yards despite missing eight games, tossing an impressive 21 touchdowns against just two interceptions, completing 66 per cent of his passes in the process.(SportsNetwork.com) - There is a reason that Bill Belichick is the best coach in professional football and everyone else is fighting for second place. Baltimores John Harbaugh is among the scrum who can be considered for the runner-up spot but the chasm between those two positions only grew after the Ravens coach objected to what he called a substitution trick by New England in the third quarter of the Patriots eventual 35-31 divisional-playoff win. The wrinkle was unveiled on the Pats second drive of the third quarter after rookie center Bryan Stork was forced to leave with a knee injury. New England kicked Ryan Wendell inside to the pivot and lined up just four natural offensive linemen, declaring a normally eligible receiver like blocking tight end Michael Hoomanawanui or running back Shane Vereen as ineligible, all in an effort to keep Baltimore off balance. There was a lot to the plays, Hoomanawanui said. I have to report as ineligible. I cant go down the field. I can only block. So as hard as it is for them to figure out, theres a lot that goes into it on our side, too. You could see how frustrated they were on who to cover and this and that, so it turned out to be great plays for us. The strategy worked as Ravens defenders were often confused when trying to substitute and match up, causing Harbaugh to blow his stack and draw an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. (The officials) didnt understand what was going on, Harbaugh claimed. We wanted an opportunity to be able to ID who the eligible players were. What (the Patriots) were doing was they announce the ineligible player and then Tom (Brady) would take them to the line right away and snap the ball before we had a chance to figure out who was lined up where. That was the deception part of it. It was clearly deception. Predictably Brady disagreed with Harbaughs description. Maybe those guys gotta study the rule book and figure it out, he said. We obvviously knew what we were doing and we made some pretty important plays.dddddddddddd It was a real good weapon for us. Belichick also explained the tactic, which he used on three different occasions. Its a play that we thought would work, the veteran coach said. We ran it three times, a couple different looks. We had six eligible receivers on the field, but only five were eligible. The one who was ineligible reported that he was ineligible. No different than on the punt team or a situation like that. On the surface Harbaughs objections seem like sour grapes. After all, a big part of football in general is about deceiving your opposition whether its disguising a blitz or coming up with a trick play like Julian Edelmans touchdown pass to Danny Amendola is this very game. So if most of you missed the memo where deception in football was disallowed, youre not alone and Harbaughs true complaint reveled itself later when he blurted out (its a tactic) nobody has ever seen before. The league will look at that type of thing, and Im sure that theyll make some adjustments and things like that, he continued. Harbaugh has had plenty of success over the years, especially in the postseason. The arrogance to that, however, is the assumption that thinking what you did yesterday will be sufficient for everything that is thrown at you tomorrow. Belichick was a power pitcher who pulled the string on Harbaugh on Saturday in Foxborough and the Ravens mentor froze in the batters box, unable to react. You can blame the officials and even trot out Don Shula to call Belichick Beli-cheat again but all the Pats coach did was take advantage of an on-the- books rule that others have failed to utilize in the past. So label the strategy as anything you want -- deception, a loophole -- but understand its real title is innovation. And Harbaugh was under the learning tree on Saturday. Hopefully he figures that out. ' ' '