New York Giants owners John Mara and Steve
13-07-2019, 01:23 PM
East Rutherford, NJ (SportsNetwork.com) - New York Giants owners John Mara and Steve Tisch confirmed Tuesday that Tom Coughlin will return as coach for 2015 and general manager Jerry Reese will also be back for another season. There was speculation about the job security for both late in a 2014 campaign that ended at 6-10 -- the clubs first double-digit loss season since Coughlins first year in 2004. None of us ever expects to be 6-10; our objective is always to play in the postseason, said Tisch in a statement on Tuesday. Clearly, John and I believe in the leadership of Jerry and Tom to reach that objective. We appreciate their ability to work together and in the best interest of the organization. I am encouraged by the outstanding young players we have, combined with the teams veteran leadership. Our players showed tremendous character by how they finished a difficult season. The Giants had a streaky 2014. They lost their first two, then won three in a row and dropped seven straight. A three-game win streak preceded the 34-26 season-ending loss to Philadelphia. As bad as things got during that seven-game losing streak, (the players) still played hard for (Coughlin), said Mara during a Tuesday news conference. There was no lack of effort. Mara called the low point of the year a 25-24 loss to Jacksonville in Week 13, a game in which the Giants blew a 21-0 lead and finished their lengthy losing streak. When I was sitting on the bus after the loss...I wanted to fire everybody, said Mara. I learned a long time ago not to make those judgements during the season. I was just happy no one approached me in the locker room after that game because that was the low point for me. Coughlin has a record of 96-80 during his 11-year run with the Giants, a tenure that has been highlighted by a pair of Super Bowl titles. They have not made the playoffs since winning their last Super Bowl championship in 2011 and have made just one postseason appearance in the past six years. The Giants followed their last Super Bowl with a 9-7 record in 2012, but the 2013 squad opened the season with six straight losses and finished 7-9 before this years team again struggled. Im sick about it, 6-10 is an embarrassment, Mara added. That being said, I do think there is reason for optimism going forward. We had some young players develop that were excited about. I think well be a much better team next season. Coughlin has the second-longest tenure in Giants coaching history, behind only Steve Owens 24-year stint from 1930-53. His 96 wins trail only Owens total of 153. I still believe we can win with him, said Mara about Coughlin. In 19 years as an NFL head coach, including eight with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Coughlin has amassed a record of 164-140. He also has a postseason mark of 12-7. Terrell Davis Womens Jersey .Y. -- That hangover from the Big East tournament is gone for Villanova. DeMarcus Ware Jersey .com) - The Atlanta Hawks have stepped up to every challenge during their 14-game winning streak and will face another daunting task Friday with Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook and the Oklahoma City Thunder in town. http://www.broncosrookiestore.com/Broncos-Demarcus-Ware-Jersey/ . There will be no Down Under four-peat for Djokovic, as the eighth-seeded Swiss slugger Wawrinka outlasted the second seed 2-6, 6-4, 6-2, 3-6, 9-7 at Melbourne Parks Rod Laver Arena in yet another five-set thriller in their burgeoning rivalry. DeMarcus Ware Broncos Jersey . -- Athletics manager Bob Melvin is already starting to run out of superlatives to describe Scott Kazmir. Royce Freeman Broncos Jersey . Jovanovski, the 2012 champ seeded fifth, will meet surprise Japanese qualifier Misa Eguchi on Friday. Eguchi, ranked 183rd, qualified for her first WTA main draw this week, then beat No.BEREA, Ohio - Browns coach Mike Pettine noticed pass after pass from quarterback Brian Hoyer going in the same direction during practice — at one tall target.Short throws, long ones, all toward the new guy, No. 12.Pro Bowl wide receiver Josh Gordon returned from his 10-game suspension on Wednesday and Hoyer couldnt stop throwing the ball to him during practice.Like a kid with a new toy at Christmas, Pettine said.Sunday could be another holiday for Hoyer when the Browns (6-4) visit the Atlanta Falcons (4-6), who have the NFLs worst pass defence and will have their hands full with Gordon, one of the games most dangerous players looking to make up for lost time.The Browns are expected to incorporate Gordon into their game plan, and although he hasnt played this season, cornerback Joe Haden said he wouldnt be shocked if the 6-foot-3, 225-pounder has a dazzling debut.It wouldnt surprise me if he went out there and had 250 (yards), Haden said.And, it wouldnt surprise anyone — and fantasy football owners are fantasizing — if the Browns sent Gordon deep on the first play from scrimmage.Hoyer wouldnt mind that. He called Gordon a freak athlete, saying Arizona cornerback Patrick Peterson is the only player in Gordons class.The things he can do at his size are remarkable, so Im glad hes on our team, he said.Pettine said Gordon reported being a a little sore following his first practice, which was held indoors as the Browns prepare to play in the Georgia Dome. Theres a big difference between being in shape and being in football shape, which is why the Browns are trying to bring Gordon along slowly this week.The Browns increased Gordons workload on Thursday and offensive co-ordinator Kyle Shanahan came away impressed by how the 23-year-old looks despite the lengthy layoff. Gordons route running was crisp and hes managed to stay up to speed with the details of Clevelands offence despite not being on the field for a single play in 2014.You can tell hes been working while hes been away, Shanahan said. Hes running good and sstuff.dddddddddddd Weve had two practices on turf and well see how his body responds.Gordons impact could be immediate. Last season, he returned from a two-game suspension and caught 10 passes for 146 yards and a touchdown in a win over Minnesota. It was Hoyers first start for the Browns and he targeted Gordon 19 times.Gordons presence will make defences honest. Teams wont be able to position multiple defenders near the line of scrimmage because theyll likely need two players to cover Gordon, who led the league with 1,646 yards last season — in just 14 games.Hes going to help in every way possible because you put him on the field, Hoyer said. You put No. 12 on the field, and the defence is going to have to see where hes at. How they want to play him, thats up to them.Hoyer hasnt had the luxury of throwing to anyone of Gordons size this season, so he may take some risks and put the ball up where only Gordon can reach it.Shanahan laughed when he was asked if Gordon fits in with his offensive scheme.He fits in great, he said. We love real good receivers.There arent many better than Gordon, never mind a motivated Gordon.Haden can appreciate Gordons mindset heading into Sundays game. Haden was suspended four games in 2010 and said the time away changed his attitude.Just being away from the game shows you how much you miss it and how much it means to you. I think J.G., hes just excited. Hes happy, said Haden, who is close with Gordon. I see him smiling and it makes me happy just to know that hes back and just ready to ball.NOTES: Pettine has not ruled out starting LBs Karlos Dansby (knee) and Jabaal Sheard (foot) for Sundays game. Pettine said Dansby is doing everything possible to play. For a guy like that, its like not an option for him, he said. Well have to tell him, Literally, you cant go. Hes that type of player, and thats what you want. To me, it speaks to his character. ... TE Jordan Cameron (concussion) also missed practice.___AP NFL website: http://www.pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP_NFL Cheap Jerseys China NFL Jerseys Cheap NBA Jerseys Wholesale NHL Jerseys Wholesale MLB Jerseys Cheap Soccer Jerseys China Wholesale NCAA Jerseys Wholesale Football Jerseys Wholesale Basketball Jerseys Wholesale Baseball Jerseys ' ' '